Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Piojos

Many things happened today worth noting and there are so many things to share/react to/understand... Here are a few:

1. The newly-weds, after spending their honeymoon on a bunk bed in a small room with many of their closest friends, said their farewells until David can get permission from Homeland Security to bring her to the USA.

2. Andrea (Padre Rafa's first unofficially adopted daughter, 12 years old, with multiple learning disabilities from early malnutrition) met her mother and brother for the first time. I witnessed this one hour after watching Dave and Oly part and am not yet even close to processing either event.

3. Interrupted by two cute kids pretending to be doctors while in the middle of an attempt to nap, Hermano Pedro (Oly's saintly father, lives a two hour walk from a road on a mountain top, is simple and holy and gentle) made the following statement: "The doctors are killing the dead!" The girls then proceeded to wash my feet and head. I had early declared my feet to be in great pain and that I had piojos (lice), with the simplest holiest gentlest hands in the world. Later I found out they had lice last year, so knew exactly what to do!

4. Rafa told the story of being guarded by 3 weeks last March by 30 soldiers in his church because of threats from gangs. I can't really explain this now because it makes no sense if you don't know El Salvador.

No comments:

Post a Comment