Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Blog and El Salvador Updates

Friends,

The idea for this blog has been bouncing around my head for some time now, but somewhere between work, life, and graduate school it got lost with many of my other good intentions. One advantage of my unemployment (read: graduation) is that I can finally start posting some reflections for you to enjoy (hopefully!).

Many people have asked if I will be able to stay in tough while teaching in El Salvador the next three months. I will have email that I can check regularly, but with the hope of immersing myself in the language I want to avoid sending frequent daily emails. In light of this, I've decided to use this blog as a way to keep in touch. Here's the plan: Every Sunday I will post a reflection on the past week, which will attempt to answer questions you might have raised in posts and may or may not involve the Sunday readings.

The title comes from the following quote from Shibayama Zenkei: "When all things return to the One, even gold loses its value. But when the One returns to all things, even the pebbles sparkle." In that spirit, I hope to reflect on my encounter with the One in the people of El Salvador.

Earlier posts are post-communion reflections (read: homily) from my time at John Carroll. For various reasons not all of them are posted, but the few I still have that aren't too personal are there.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for including me in your mailing list.
    Vaya con Dios a El Salvador. I look forward to reading of your experiences.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark...I look forward to reading and gaining wisdom from your words. Enjoy your time down below and give my regards to everyone at the wedding.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete